Author Topic: MT4 number of templates in folder  (Read 2471 times)

domana

Re: MT4 number of templates in folder
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 06:55:12 AM »
Hi Pax

Thank you for your reply.
Everything is now becoming clearer and I think I will really start to enjoy using BDM
in due course when MT4 gets updated to a version that will allow BDM to work properly.

Thats just the beginning. There are still many aspects of BDM that I have to learn about and it will definitely take time. Its not just about the mechanical aspects of the software. The most important thing is to learn how to use BDM to create consistent positive results and this will be a life long learning process.
Many thanks and best wishes

Pax

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 07:01:46 AM »
BDM is a big toolbox Domana.
I've spent months and will be more months to learn it because I've not touched its basket trading and automating potentials.
but it's been very helpful for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 09:34:05 AM by Pax »

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 07:51:06 AM »
Here is how you move your MT4 folder.
The broker in this example is "Traders Way".

If you install MT4 the folder under Program Files is called [broker]Metatrader 4 (in this example "Traders Way Metatrader 4".
The data folder for indicators, template, ea's etc. is created in [user]/appdats/Roaming/Metaquotes/ etc etc.

To get those folders and programs in your local terminal folder you use the /portable switch.

Example

Rename the "Traders Way Metatrader 4" folder to "Traders Way Develop"

twmove2.JPG

On the desktop shortcut (properties) change the two "Traders Way Metatrader 4" folders to "Traders Way Develop" and put the /portable switch behind it.
(Btw. change the security to run as Admin, make life easier)

twmove.JPG

Now when you restart the terminal all programs, templates ed. will be copied from that dreadfull appdata/roaming/xxxx to the local folder you specified.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:05:37 AM by Hotpotato »

domana

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
Hi HP

Sorry I tried it and it didn't work. In fact it messed up my installation of BDMv1.34.
When I restarted Traders Way Develop after following the procedure very carefully & I mean carefully [but that doesn't mean I did not make a mistake] MT4 started to install a new demo with a new number. I managed to get back my existing demo [the one where BDMv1.34 was installed] but all the BDM files were gone! Instead there were all the standard indicators, templates etc that MT4 normally places in a new installation.

Please understand I am not blaming you for this mishap because it could have been a mistake made by me although I am quite sure that I followed all the steps carefully. Just for my interest could you let me know where the image between the phrases 'Rename the "Traders Way Metatrader 4" folders..........and On the desktop shortcut(properties) change........where you show the renamed folder and the original named folder of the MT4 installation can be seen. I did not see anything that resembled what you have shown. I saw only the renamed folder but not the original. This is probably the place that I most likely made a mistake.

I will spend time to-morrow re-installing BDMv1.34 so I can use it on Monday to continue studying BDM

I hope our other readers will not make the same error if I did make one

Thanks HP

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »
Domana,

Understand that "Traders Way" is just an example.
Traders Way is a broker but it could be "FXCM", "IC Markets" or "RoboForex", i do not know what broker you use.

Perhaps to understand the difference between a standard install and the /portable you could read some google searches like http://www.pimpmyea.com/how-to-have-an-mt4-portable-installation/

The easiest way is still to open a new demo account with your preffered broker download the mt4 install and install a new mt4 terminal.
After you have done that and all is working correctly download BDMv1.34 and unpack the zip (the location does not matter).
Go to that unpacked zip folder and select the 3 folders MQL4,Templates and sounds. Then right click and select copy.
Now go to you fresh installed terminal and click left (menu top) file->open data folder.
Paste the copied files into the explorer window and when it says "do you want to overwrite" click Yes.
After that close the terminal and restart, BDMv1.34 should be under the Experts fold out.
Open a chart, any chart and drag BDMv1.34 to that chart and you should be ready to run.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:04:14 PM by Hotpotato »

domana

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
Thanks HP

I will do like what you said.
I think the mistake I made was to use Traders Way instead of my broker name.
As they say one lives and learn.
I have actually read the article with the link you gave before I started.
Guess I need to improve my reading skills in addition to all other skills needed to trade!!! LOL
Best wishes

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 04:25:08 PM »
It's no problem.

If you get to a point that you really tried but can not get it working there is always Teamviewer www.teamviewer.com and i will be happy to assist you.

Pax

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 01:00:11 AM »
Hi Domana:

Here is a quick pdf of how I would install multiple MT4s.
Pls let me know where exactly you are having difficulty installing MT4/BDM.

domana

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »
Thank you Pax for the PDF on multiple MT4 installations. It will come in extremely useful when needed. I am going to read it a number of times.

With the help of HP from his last post#19 I managed to successfully instal one instance of ‘portable’ MT4. The main thing that threw me was the desktop icon of the portable version commenced installing another demo account with a new number which puzzled the hell out of me because I did not understand it at that time that this portable process was for multiple installations.

Reading HP’s post#17 and the article on the link provided by him- http://www.pimpmyea.com/how-to-have-an-mt4-portable-installation/ gave me the impression that this exercise is to put all EAs, indicators, templates etc into the MT platform itself so that there would be no need to go to [user]/appdats/Roaming/Metaquotes/ etc etc in case of need. This going to the user section is the subject of my next puzzle and questions [please see later with illustrations]

Now that I have read your PDF I understand the portable process is intended to have multiple installations of MT4, Thank you for this clarification.

The whole thing that got me started was to try to avoid accessing the user section and here comes my next questions.

I noticed in BDMv1.34 that when I right clicked on a chart to get to templates I could view the whole lot of sub-folders [as per the installation files] which contained all the individual .tpl files. However when I wished to use another template right clicking on template caused a drop down menu indicating saving or loading a template. When Load template was clicked it did not show the template sub-folders but instead showed the .tpl files of the first use.
To get back to seeing the template sub-folders it necessitated going to user/Appdat etc to do.

Please see my 3 attachments which I hope will clarify what I am trying to ask. I do not know whether it’s just me that has so many questions some of which may appear trivial to other users. I like to think it’s me rather than the PC!!!! LOL

Once again I appreciate all the help from you and HP. A big thank you to both of you.
I have never asked so many questions on software installation before now – may show a decline in the gray matter volume. LOL .

I will be happy to clarify in case there is any ambiguity in my language or illustrative ability.

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
Right click on chart, go to Template-> Load template
selecttemplate1.png
Browse through the template folder and templates
selecttemplate2.png
Until you find the template you want to load.
selecttemplate3.png
Double click on the template and it will be loaded on the select chart.
selecttemplate4.JPG

If you want an other template just start from step 1 again.

domana

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »
Thanks HP

I have managed to process a MT4 portable platform and I used this platform to setup a CADCHF chart just so I am so to speak ‘on the same page with you’ as per your image 1.
I was too slow to take a snap shot of the FIRST click on the template menu to show the template sub folders. So I doctored the image to show what it looked like before clicking on the sub folder BDMEAX which contained 4 .tpl files. Clicked on BDMASMEAX to place on chart and it came out like your image 4 –the colourful image.

Subsequent click on template to load did not move the .tpl files one level higher back to the sub folders. I am not able to reproduce your images 2 & 3. The situation is the same as my earlier images in my previous post. I can get the sub folders only on the first click after which I cannot get back to the sub folder level. I have no idea why this is so.

Will you be able to place some programming lines in to make the software revert to the higher template sub folder level. This may help other users who may have the same problems.

The only good news is BDMv1.34 appears to fire up  nicely. However there are still intermittent glitches now and then depending on where I click. I guess this is not ideal but at least I can observe how some of the features show themselves up on screen but I do not really know if the representation is what it should be at this stage. Main point is I have managed to get something working!!! Like I have always mentioned if I do not succeed, it will not be from a lack of trying

I have been at the mechanical aspects for quite a few weeks now – just trying to get BDM to instal and working. Hopefully this is the first step. I will have to learn to use features/systems within the framework of my trading style and plan. I do not intend to learn all the items in the toolbox-just focussing selectively on what suits my trading plan

I have yet to get BDMv1.42 cranking over because this is the engine I really want to use for basket trading.

Thanks for your patience and helping hand.
PS Going to use your download for up date to 1049 – Thanks

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
Domana,

If i could i would make the program "revert" back to a higher folder, but i can't.

Loading (and  saving) individual templates like show in the example is a basic MT4 feature/function and has nothing to do with BDM.
Start by not loading BDM and just open a stand-alone chart and load a template on it.

If after you click "Load template" on the mt4 fold-out menu does not give you the screen shown below there is something wrong with your MT4 installation.

Btw. BDM 1.34 also supports basket trading but only up to two baskets at same the time.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:11:17 PM by Hotpotato »

domana

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »
Hi HP

Thanks. Sorry for delay in responding as I have to attend to some family matters.

I do not know if the installation setup file from the broker is any cause for my template folder problem as I am seeing only the .tpl files of the last sub-folder used. I cannot get back to the screen showing all the sub folders.
I tried using the Open Account with Metaquotes demo but it does not work.
Not a satisfactory solution but what is your view if I take out all the individual .tpl files and place them in the MT4 template folder - messy solution but that is about the only way I can see all the tpl files [looking through nearly 200 templates is not every body's cup of tea - LOL]

I just thought of an idea which I am going to try. Will let you know if anything happens

Thanks