Author Topic: Layout wanted  (Read 2909 times)

domana

Layout wanted
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »
Hi HP or Pax

I think I am trying to run before I can crawl!!!

I have been trying for hours and hours [result of running before crawling] to set up a layout that I want to save as a template for trading - ahem!

I attach a made up layout that I would like - coincidently based on layouts of Pax.
I would like a chart on the currency strengths and 3 smaller charts of different time frames and a larger chart of H1 which is the TF I want to trade.

I am using an old monitor which has a very odd resolution of 1680 x 1050 good for Vista but not for newer windows. I will get a new monitor maybe my next Christmas present. LOL
Best wishes to both of you

Hotpotato

• Administrator
Re: Layout wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
O couple of things.

Your screenshots are kind of blurry, i can not make out which chart is what symbol /tf.
Always be aware that you do not use the same symbol+timframe comination twice on a 1.34 dashboard.
You charts are not in a logical order which doesn't make it easier

You best can start with a one chart dashboard, place it on different locations where you think you want a chart and make a note of the x/y,w/h
After you have done that for all 5 chart individual start adding chart for chart until you have them all 5 on on dashboard.

It is possible.
This is the supplied BDM~MULTI~SCALP preset file wiyh only 1 change on dashboard chart 5, made it a M1 chart.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:18:48 AM by Hotpotato »

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
Here is the set i just made.
Taken in account the pair selection bar.
134example.JPG

domana

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:37:50 PM »
Thanks HP. I am sorry about the blurry charts. This is very likely because I used white colour for the small & larger charts.

On the first chart ‘Example layout wanted’ the 4 smaller charts going from top left to right I was trying to show:

1.   A currency strength chart – M15,M30 or H1
2.   An M15 candle chart
3.   A H4 candle chart
4.   A D1 candle chart
5.   The larger H1 candle chart

*- all charts are of the same pair – only in different time frames. An indicator can also be plotted on the charts.

I propose to use only one pair [GbpUsd in this case – but it can be any pair] for the layout because I was trying to see what’s happening to the pair in different time frames. I was not thinking about using this layout for basket trading because that will probably have to be some other layout. Perhaps this is not the way I should use BDM.
I hope this layout does not violate the same symbol and timeframe that you mentioned. I was not aware of this before.

The other images were about the settings that I had used in the BDM EA.

Thank you for the help set file which will answer questions about the EA settings.
Your screen shot of the layout is exactly what I was trying to achieve except that I was trying to place a currency strength chart where you have got the M1 chart.

Appreciate very much your help

I forgot to mention that I have now managed to instal both BDMv1.34 and 1.42 successfully except for the template problem on two separate demos. Will focus initially on 1.34 to get overview and more understanding before proceeding to 1.42 as I find 1.42 a bit distracting with the intermittent message of having to re-start.
First step completed and now for the harder and more difficult steps.
Once again thank you very much for all help and support
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:11:40 PM by domana »

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 05:25:37 PM »
It is all in the templates.  8)

There are a couple of preset files you can load and see what they do.
Just start BDM and load one of the BDM~..... presets from MQL4/presets.
The chart i showed was (i think) the preset BDM~AHA

alltemplates1.JPG

alltemplates2.JPG
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:32:23 PM by Hotpotato »

domana

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Hi HP

Just found that the 134help set file that you kindly provided in Reply#2 is set to demo licence [header 1] which requires a re-start after some time – the same message as BDMv1.42. Yes I have installed it on a demo platform and the licence shown is free as shown in header 2.

I changed the licence to Free in the help set file to tie in with my demo platform but received the message that the help set file parameters were only available in the demo or licenced version.

I am quite at a loss with this message as I am running the free v1.34 on a demo platform [no doubt that it is a demo account] but when I start v1.34 with the help set file running the free version [also no doubt about it] the BDM header changes to a demo version. So in effect I am running a demo account with a demo version of the free version – quite a tongue twister. LOL.
As mentioned before I like to use v1.34 to check out the main features of BDM because of the ongoing nature of it [without having to re-start] but because of the layout that I would like to use v1.34 appears to be only operatable on a demo basis on a demo account. I have not dared to try it on my real account so I cannot tell if the same thing will happen there.

If the help set file is meant to be used on a demo version of v1.42 I will use it thereon.

After this mumbo jumbo that I am creating there is just one new question on the Daily chart.

There is what seems to be a channel on the D1 chart [on any pair]. Is this a feature to show the main or major direction of a move based on just the first change of direction because the channel is not drawn through the highs and lows of the subsequent moves.

Other than that the help set file provides just the layout that I am after.
Per your suggestion I will try to see what some of the presets do

I am trying to get away from just knowing about the mechanical aspects of BDM because I want to find out how to use it for trading. I guess the two are so closely related that I cannot avoid it

Thanks and best wishes

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
Well, that is no good, free should be free.
I will have a look at that and post an update if necessary.

The default template BDMv1 is just an example could be that there are object leftovers or that the one-shot channel indicator is still on there.
You can't see it because it removes itself after drawing the channel.

Always start by defining your own "default" template make sure the BDMhelper is on there and every other indicator you want when you open a group of charts. Save it as BDMv1.

domana

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
Thanks HP. I shall especially pay attention to your comments on BDMv1

domana

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
Hi HP

I am just about coming to the end of my tether with this BDM thing. For the last 8 weeks I have spent hours each day just trying to get through the mechanics of installation and trying to get it going. There have been a few times when I thought I got it right but each subsequent time when I tried to just view [not testing] some of the features with the presets something or other goes wonky and all I have got are blank screens, frozen screens or error messages.

Makes me wonder if other trial users are getting it all correct or else they are not saying anything and I am the only one that’s really dumb.

I think I have been very patient and have really tried my very hardest best but I am still getting no where. I have lost count of the number of new demo installations on which a fresh copy of BDM is installed just to avoid possible corruption in the process. Its not a laughing matter anymore. My broker will certainly think so too especially when he notices the number of fresh demo installations I have made in the last few weeks. I am trying to keep my sense of humour and sanity as I have done everything I know about installation new software on MT4. I have deleted each bad installation file in the hidden users roaming section to ensure a clean install. As you have previously said “installation is real easy” I totally and whole heartedly agree with you but somehow something does not agree. I have installations made on my two computers [both running Windows 7] and BDMv1.34 is behaving or misbehaving the same on both machines. I do not run both machines at the same time - only one installation going at any time. It would be incredible that both computers have some fault that is working against me.

The attachments show the latest situation. The most telling image is where BDMv1.34 is showing up as a demo header and others have no header shown.

Pax has tried to help by sending me a pdf on how to install BDM. Everything I have done is mentioned in the pdf. I am beginning to feel like a bad carpenter blaming his tools. LOL

The installation of BDMv1.42 appears to be OK [fingers crossed].

I feel bad having to burden you with questions and asking for help when I know you are extremely busy with work on the MCT site

As I have mentioned a few times if I do not succeed it will not be from a lack of trying.
Thanks and best wishes
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:30:19 AM by domana »

Pax

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 12:44:40 PM »
Hi domana:
I'm not happy to see you have much troubles with the installations.
Maybe a TeamViewer session is needed.
I am not sure exactly where to start helping though:
Why you are trying both 1.42 and 1.34 at the same time.
Why you can make 1 work and not the other.
Can you stay with 1 version that works and work with it until it does what you want
and play with the other version later....

Let's try one thing at a time again.
Let me know how I can help.

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »
"Makes me wonder if other trial users are getting it all correct or else they are not saying anything and I am the only one that’s really dumb."

I do not call anybody dumb since i sometimes spend hours looking at a single block of code and not seeing what i am doing wrong.
That's not dumb, that's a little blindness from staring to long at a problem.

Like Pax said, i am also have to install it for you per Teamviewer but pehaps i think that is a to big of a breach op privacy.

There is also another way, give me the broker, account number and password of one of your demo accounts (it would be helpful if you have that same installation with the /portable switch) and i will install everything here locally and send you a full zip which you can install and override your basic MT4.

Whichever you prefer.
I also have Skype although i do not use that very much.

domana

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:44:23 PM »
Hi HP

Thank you so much for your very positive response to help with my installation problems.

I will set up the portable switch account in the next hour or so.

I have no problems of giving you my demo account details but because this is a public forum I prefer to message the details directly to you. I also don’t have any problems with TeamViewer between us but I think your suggestion of remote installation is very good and convenient for yourself as you can do it in your own time without worrying about arranging for suitable day and time [My time zone is +8 GMT]. Please know that I am extremely happy with the support and help that you are providing. I cannot ask for better. Kudos to you.

Pax has asked a very pertinent question about why I need the two versions. I did mentioned earlier that I prefer learning about BDM on 1.34 not because it is free but because I can continue without having to be concerned with re-starts if I am testing demo trading. I may have a misconception about re-starts though. The other reason is I like to have an advanced peek at 1.42 because I am a very inquisitive person. I guess curiosity could kill the cat!. As suggested by him I will focus on 1.34 and leave 1.42 for a later time.

The limitation of being able to trade only two baskets does not worry me as two will be quite a handful for someone without prior experience and knowledge of BT – for now I only wish to deal with one basket at a time.

Thank you again and best wishes

domana

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:06:55 PM »
Hi domana:
I'm not happy to see you have much troubles with the installations.
Maybe a TeamViewer session is needed.
I am not sure exactly where to start helping though:
Why you are trying both 1.42 and 1.34 at the same time.
Why you can make 1 work and not the other.
Can you stay with 1 version that works and work with it until it does what you want
and play with the other version later....

Let's try one thing at a time again.
Let me know how I can help.

Hi Pax

Thank you for your concerns and offer of help with my installation problems. Appreciate this very much.
You asked a very pertinent question about why I need the two versions of BDM.
I prefer learning about BDM on 1.34 not because it is free but because I can continue without having to be concerned with re-starts if I am testing demo trading. I may have a misconception about re-starts though. The other reason is I like to have an advanced peek at 1.42 because I am a very inquisitive person. I guess curiosity could kill the cat!. I will focus on 1.34 and leave 1.42 for a later time as you suggested.
Best wishes and regards

Hotpotato

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 09:32:22 PM »
Domana,

I can confirm that you are not dumb (or at least not in this case).  ;)

12 brokers, 11 work but number 12 which is Pepperstone now does not work.
No idea why yet but i will find out.

domana

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 06:52:28 AM »
Thanks HP

Please see my new message to you

Best